Monday, July 10, 2006

...Reflections on the FIFA World Cup 2006



Yep, the Fifa World Cup 2006 is now over with Italy winning.

I won a couple of bets but some friends chickened out. Someone had bet their paycheck on Italy not winning the world Cup from the beginning. I am sure I would have refused to give up my pay check too had Italy lost. Anyways, the world cup had its moments as well as its faux- pas! I like negatives so I will focus on that.

It is true the letargic pace of the players in the finals made it painful to watch but then, I am glad we really got to see Zizu misbehave on his last day before retirement. If anyone remembers, in the 2002 World Cup, Zizu acted the same way in France's second game and the summary of his career at Real has been a catalogue of disgusting outbursts and shenanigans that cut his playing time a lot. This guy is one of the best in ball control, no doubt, but what image is he trying to show our kids? Man, just when I thought I could like him! Moving on!!!

To me, like I said in the beginning of the tournament, Italy was always a possible champ. Anyways, Juventus will be playing in the third division next football season but that doesn't mean we will not see them in two years back in the Calcio! Most of its players will be loaned to other teams and what not and will get back with the team once they are back in the Calcio.

But the Azzurri are at this moment on top of the world and the pleasure is all mine. They better enjoy it. Now, we have to rebuild the Cameroon national team, win the African Nations Cup in Ghana in 2008 and then get to the World Cup semi-finals in 2010 in South Africa.(I doubt this is possible but hey, I can dream right?)

THE DISGRACE OF THE WORLD CUP!!
1. Zizu played well in the second round of the tournament but then spoiled everything when he headbutted Materrazi. Thierry Henry barely got a touch of the ball, although he scored with one of those rare touches. P-i-t-i-f-u-l!

2. Roger Lemerre's Tunisia and the impossible fatigue. Tunisia conceded four or more goals towards the last ten minutes of all their games. Against Saudi Arabia, Tunisia led right up to the waning minutes of the game when Saudis came back and tied. Same story with Spain and Ukraine. They had a chance to advance out of the group especially when Ukraine had lost woefully to Spain.

3. Brazil's games were painful to watch. Ronaldhino can't play without Deco. And there is no arguing about this. Ronaldo's weight issues were blatantly apparent. Dida was pretty good but Lucio just dampened his light. My goodness, Brazil came with nothing to the World Cup. I am sure Socrates and the older players crawled out of their graves when this was over. Read on as I am sure the analysis of Roberto Carlos' marking of Henry below is evidence enough.

4. De Rossi of Italy intentionally elbowing Mcbride of the USA. He got only a two-game suspension. He should have been kept out of the competition.

5. Argentina’s coach soiled their dreams when he pulled Riquelme off the field with 20minutes left and never put Wonder boy Messi to churn the stomachs of the German D when Germany drew level. He opted for Luis Gonzalez instead.

6.Ivory Coast being over-confident in their play. They think they are all stars but then, we found out otherwise. Eboue had his worst outing ever. Drogba didn't want to run, the list is long!

7. The refs throwing out yellow cards at each blow of the whistle. Man, it made my eyes bleed when the ref in Portugal v. Netherlands gave out 16 yellow cards and four red cards. Good God!

8. I am out of ideas but I think anyone else can enlarge the list. If you remember something, please add it. Oh and the good thing about the tournament? I got to see Shakira move that waist/belly or whichever she was moving. I tell you it was a delicacy watching Shakira on stage. Not a bad point! Good thing number 1 about the world cup. Loved it! Hey, check out Roberto Carlos marking one of the world's best attackers, Henry! Go from left of screen to right!!!















1 comment:

Nico said...

Yup! That really happened.