Sunday, September 10, 2006

...9/11: 5 years after

On 9/11/01, I was laying in my bed in at Dryden Hall, Eastern Washington University in Cheney, WA when my mom called. It was about 9am Pacific. She instructed me to turn on the TV and to my dismay and utter horror, I was spell bound.
Two planes had hit the World Trade Center, another plane had flown into the Pentagon, and another, headed for the White House, had been wrestled to the fields of Pennsylvania. I have always believed this last plane had been shot down (reason why nothing was really ever recovered from it) but that is another story.

Today is exactly 5 years since this barbaric act of terrorism was waged on the US and most of the world and although it may seem dim to some people, watching the videos or many documentaries airing on TV this week has a sobering effect that adjectives fall short of depicting clearly.

When I watch the tapes of the events, especially the one that just aired this Sunday morning @ 9:30am on HBO, I remain glued to my sit with my fingers clenching down so hard on my seat that I can hear the fabric moan from the effect of the pressure exerted. It is only understandable that after such a horrendous act of war Bush et Co would want to go after Bin Laden, albeit that they have turned the tide and deviated from the mission at hand, to a war in Iraq, amongst other things.

Afghanistan

Although I never really understood why the Bush administration went after Afghanistan, I still think Saudi Arabia would have been a better stage to wage the war on terror. Nine of the hijackers were Saudis. Bin Laden himself is Saudi. Saudis are the proven supporters of terror. They hate US guts and have often been two-sided in their policies in support of the US.

But Bush and his administration made a case for Afghanistan and went with it. They targeted the Taliban, stating that he did nothing to eradicate Al-Qeada in his country. Hmm... come to think of it, the US had provided Bin Laden and his network (Al-Qeada) all the armor and might to fight of communism two score decades ago.
My comment is that they never actually cared if they caught Bin Laden. Bush had to make it look like he was doing something to fight terrorism so he could usher in his evil plan of taking over Iraq's oil.

Iraq

Bush may argue as much as they want and even offer as much bogus information as they want to justify their attack on Iraq, but it was totally uncalled for. My reason. It is very clear that invading Afghanistan was a great idea but that mission ought to have been completed before ever considering another target. Bin Laden had not yet been found but Bush really didn't care.
The United Nations and the G8 except for Britain asked Bush to hold off. But he won't listen.
The CIA offered intel revealing that Iraq had no connection to Al-Qeada but Bush still won't listen.
You actually already know all of this information but you chose to vote for him one more time.

Anyways, I would like to remind everyone that the effects of 9/11 are still very glaring, especially when you consider the actions of a C-grade student heading the greatest country in the World.
One fact that remains is that 3251 children now wake up and go about their day without their dad or mom.
3475 people from 83 different countries died on 9/11 from the WTC and Pentagon attacks.

Say a prayer for them when you have a minute.

No comments: